Director of Human Resources, United Food Bank
Director of Human Resources, United Food Bank
Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: President & Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: Payroll and Benefits Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt, Salaried - Full-time
Who We Are:
United Food Bank's history is deeply rooted in the East Valley and dates back to July 1983, when it began operations as United Food Distribution Center, Inc. As a Feeding America affiliate, United Food Bank has grown to serve 19,608 square miles across five counties, including some of the state's most remote areas. Through a network of 150 agency partners, we provide nourishing food to children and families, seniors, and the unhoused.
In July 2019, Waste Not began operating as a United Food Bank affiliate, maintaining its own 501(c)(3) charitable status. Waste Not focuses on rescuing excess perishable food items that would otherwise be thrown away. Waste Not’s unique service of prepared food rescue is an innovative solution to widespread hunger and environmental issues.
Together, United Food Bank and Waste Not leverage their combined resources, shared talent and leadership, infrastructure, and operating efficiencies to improve and expand their response to local hunger and food waste challenges.
Our Mission and Values:
We are passionate about our Mission of Uniting Communities to Alleviate Hunger. You are most likely to find success at United Food Bank if you are
Teamwork-oriented, collaborating with others to achieve the best outcomes
Guided by Integrity to do the right things, always
Inspired to go above and beyond to deliver Service & Innovation in your role.
Join United Food Bank’s growing team serving in a newly created Director of Human Resources role. This role is directly responsible for UFB’s overall strategic planning, administration, coordination, and evaluation of the overall human resources functions. This employee will provide human resources leadership for the entire organization, developing people strategies, driving talent management, and managing the Payroll & Benefits Manager.
This role plans, directs, and implements policies for all areas of our human resources function including staffing, compensation, payroll, benefits, training, employee relations, safety, and compliance. This position will be our in-house expert in all matters concerning Human Resource issues with broad and current subject matter knowledge that includes federal and state laws.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Organization and Culture:
- Partners with the President & Chief Executive Officer and the Executive Team to continuously grow and develop a culture that emphasizes optimism, service to others, innovation, and integrity.
- With the Executive Team, supports a rewarding and engaging workplace for all staff, and promotes a positive environment and culture consistent with organizational values.
- Champions transparent and proactive communication.
- Implements and oversees a reward and recognition program for all staff members.
- Monitors the pulse of staff and develops/executes on initiatives to ensure a high level of employee engagement, reduction in regrettable turnover, a positive employee experience, and legal compliance.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure legal compliance with all applicable local state and federal employment laws, including but not limited to FLSA, FMLA, ADA to minimize risk/exposure to the organization.
Workforce Development and Talent Acquisition:
- Executes talent management initiatives in the areas of onboarding, orientation, performance review planning and completion, training, and staff development.
- Oversee all stages of the employment/recruitment process in accordance with EEO/Affirmative Action guidelines.
- Develops, cultivates, and implements the talent acquisition strategies process to ensure UFB attracts and retains high performing employees, and works with the Payroll and Benefits Manager to ensure positions are filled in a timely manner.
- Research, source, and identify candidates by working with hiring managers to discern qualifications/skills to update or create job descriptions.
- Manage terminations and exit processes, including conducting exit interviews to determine reasons behind employee separation.
- Forecast hiring needs, considering business strategy, attrition, and workforce development.
- Guides training and development needs for UFB and ensures all such programs align with UFB’s business strategies.
- Ensures all employees have an active professional development plan within their first year of employment at UFB.
- Partner with the Executive Team to effectively maximize talent throughout the employee lifecycle, including hiring, onboarding, offboarding, coaching, counseling, development, and growth.
- Oversee the payroll process with the Payroll & Benefits Manager, including bi-weekly payroll needs.
- Ensure all benefit payroll withholdings, 401k withholdings, etc. are properly reflected in each employee’s pay.
- Ensure employee’s pay, deductions, and reimbursement are all properly completed, documented, and executed.
- Oversee employee welfare benefit plans including open enrollments, new-hire eligibility, terminations, etc.
- Oversee all benefits invoices are reflected accurately such as monthly claims, dental and vision, and ancillary benefits.
- Develops and oversees all Health and Welfare benefits for the organization.
Policies and Procedures/Compliance:
- Annually review, and make recommendations to the UFB President/Chief Executive Officer for improvement of policies, procedures, and practices, on personnel matters and compliance to support best practices and standards.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation to ensure UFB is compliant.
- Develop new policies, as necessary.
- Annually review the Employee handbook and propose adjustments, as necessary for approval of the President & Chief Executive Officer.
- Communicate changes and/or new personnel policies and procedures to all staff; work with management to ensure proper compliance is followed.
- Post legal notifications and updates, as necessary.
- Ensure that all Board and Administrative policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Advise, counsel, and work directly with management to guide them toward appropriate resolution of employee-relations issues, including performance improvement plans, progressive discipline processes, and other responsibilities related to personnel matters.
- Coordinate legal matters including investigations, arbitrations, grievances, document preparation with outside counsel, as needed.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Develop and execute a goal setting and performance review process for all staff, in partnership with department leaders.
- Maintain current database of all organizational job descriptions, and ensures consistency in format as needed.
- Manage all leave-of-absence requests in accordance with local, state, and federal guidelines, and company time-off policies/procedures, i.e. FMLA, short-term disability, worker’s compensation, personal leave, vacation, sick, etc.
- Manage all worker’s compensation claims.
- Provide guidance on compensation strategies linking compensation to employee performance objectives/goals; establish competitive compensation and total rewards benefit programs and ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Conduct and participate in periodic wage surveys; help guide the process to ensure equitable pay practices.
- Implement and manage the employee performance management and objectives/goals in Paylocity. Act as a consultant to employees who may need assistance with the process.
Reporting and Execution:
- Develop internal monthly reports for management including headcounts, turnover, recruiting, workers compensation claims, etc.
- Prepare and submit any payroll, employee information to outside parties such as Feeding America’s Network Activity Report, 401k Form 5500, etc.
Passion for alleviating hunger
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management or other business degree, or at least 5 years of experience in Human Resource management.
- Recent experience within an organization with more than 50 staff as part of a Human Resources or People Operations team, including clear understanding of legal and regulatory rules that come with being an organization with more than 50 full-time staff.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification is desired, but not required.
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of Human Resources, including (but not limited to) employment and labor, employment law, best practices, and HR Policies, and Procedures.
- Experience with insurance plans, including health care, LTD, STD, AD&D, and 401k plans. Having experience with self-insured health plans is a big plus.
- Experience in FMLA and Worker’s Compensation.
- Bonus: fluency in Spanish
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict and effectively problem-solve.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission, visions, values, and goals of our organization.
- Ability to determine effective solutions with confidential, sensitive, and complex variables.
- Full understanding of the essential organizational structure, practices, and interdepartmental communications.
- Must work well with others and possess good customer service skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of employees.
- Proficiency of Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with Paylocity preferred but not required.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross-departmental teams
- Results-driven mindset with a focus on achieving organization objectives
- Experience in implementing and managing software and systems
- Proven track record of improving operational efficiency and performance
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to inspire and motivate team members
Ability to assume responsibility and work independently.
Detail-oriented with adherence to deadlines.
United Food Bank offers employees a variety of benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Coverage under our insurance program commences on the first day of the month following thirty days of continuous employment
- 401k plan will be available 90 days after the first day of employment with matching
- 3-week vacation is available for your use during the year on an accrual basis
- Sick leave and bereavement
- 14 paid holidays annually
- Professional development assistance
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Director
Job Function : Administrative